This safeguarding resource was created to help frontline professionals, volunteers and others who work with children, young people and those with lived experience of care to effectively understand, identify and respond to safeguarding concerns about institution-related trafficking and exploitation.
This resource is based in large part on the findings of Lumos’ two groundbreaking reports on institution-related trafficking. Cracks in the System, which was published in 2020, examined the phenomenon of institution-related trafficking in Europe, while the 2021 report Cycles of Exploitation examined the issue on a global scale.
In this resource we'll provide information on:
- The issue of institution-related trafficking and exploitation
- Recognising harms and risks related to trafficking and exploitation
- How to appropriately respond and take action
- The importance of effective participation of children and young people in this process
- Other learning and next steps.