Report of the conference, hosted by Lumos, which brought together bilateral and multilateral donors, NGOs, Foundations and Experts, to discuss how to end the institutionalisation of children by 2050. Institutionalisation was acknowledged to be extremely harmful to children as well as a hindrance to achieving mainstream development and humanitarian goals. Several donors made important commitments and the achievements already made were celebrated, including those by the EU, the US and the Global Alliance for Children.
The conference involved:
- Lumos Founder and President J.K. Rowling opened the event
- The US Government, the EU and the Global Alliance for Children presented their respective work
- The Government of Haiti described the social programmes in place to tackle institutionalisation
- The Moldovan government, alongside two young self-advocates, presented on the successes achieved nationally in reducing the institutionalisation of children and called for further action
- Lumos CEO, Georgette Mulheir, presented the key findings of Lumos’ of the report, In Our Lifetime